Friday, January 25, 2019

WHAT DID YOU SAY?

???



The Do Not Call Registry notwithstanding, both my husband and I get too many robocalls. Because many of the seniors in our community have kept their out-of-state phone numbers, we can’t always ignore calls from numbers we don’t recognize. Oh yes we could let it go to voicemail, but then we have to go and listen to the voicemail and clear it out. So we answer the calls, listen to the beginning of the spiel.

We get offers of free trips, calls to sell us things like health insurance, new windows for our home, and car repair coverage. We ain’t interested. Then there are those that tell us they are from "your credit card company." Oh, really? Ain’t interested. We end the call.

But yesterday morning there came a call that was amazing. It was an 800 number. That was really unusual, but when I flipped open my phone and listened (yes, Warren Buffet and I still have flip phones) I heard a woman speaking Chinese. Chinese? Mandarin, or Cantonese, I couldn’t tell you, but the inflection made me guess it was Chinese. I can count from one to ten in Chinese, but that’s just something I learned, and probably remembered incorrectly, from childhood.

Why would we be getting robocalls in Chinese? Anyway, it’s all Greek to me.




No comments:

Post a Comment