Friday, January 4, 2019

EARWORMS FROM MY CHILDHOOD


                

It seems as though I’ve always got an earworm going ‘round in my head. I blogged about them in February of 2015. I’ve had dozens of them since then. Before my current musical number, it was a song from Funny Girl. This week it’s a ditty from my childhood: “The Animal Fair.”

I went to the animal fair.
The birds and the bees were there.
The old baboon, by the light of the moon,
Was combing his auburn hair.
The monkey he got drunk and
Stepped on the elephant’s trunk.
The elephant sneezed
And fell on his knees, and
That was the end of the monk – poor monk!
   And that was the end of the monk.

There may be different words, but that’s how I remember it. I wonder what ditties my grandchildren will remember and have as ear worms in their heads. Sometimes I’ll sing a silly one to them, or recite a nonsense verse, and they just look at me as though I’ve gone starkers.

Eenie meenie – titsie teenie
Ooo – gah – gahgoleenie
Achey, pachey, googa-lachey
Out goes Y-O-U!

And what ever happened to Mairzy Doats?






No comments:

Post a Comment