Saturday, January 12, 2019

BRAIN FADE




Ah! Saturday morning! You thought I forgot to write a blog yesterday. Guess what – I did!  I also forgot that I had a meeting to attend yesterday afternoon, and it threw off my inner schedule because I was concentrating on a reception I had to attend in the evening.

To my horror, there were several times last night when I absolutely lost my train of thought, or blanked out on the word I needed. Thinking about it in bed last night, I felt I should email some of the people with whom I was talking and ask if I can have a do-over. I’m thinking, hoping, that probably none of them noticed my problem. I surely did.

An email this morning from my Canadian correspondent jogged my memory. Is something going ‘round? We’re both fairly sharp tacks when it comes to brainwork, but both of us are suffering from memory woes. And both of us are in a position where, as she said, “since mine is the default memory in this house, if it gets damaged or disappears for any reason, we'll be up Crap Creek without a paddle.” The long term memory is there – it’s the short term memory that’s faltering in the short term. 

As my pal said, it’s probably just the result of “massive overwhelm” right now, and she is much more overwhelmed than I am. But while it is going on, it is really disturbing. I suppose it’s a good thing we’re mindfully aware of it, otherwise we’re really be losing our minds.

It’s still early in the a.m., and I’ve got the first proof of February’s community magazine to scrutinize today. I’m glad the cloudy, cold weather is cooperating to keep me inside.

I was searching for an image to go with this post, and I came upon this one under “brain fade.” It is from the New Atlas website, and the article is titled “Brain Fade? Your neurons may be taking a power nap.” That’s it!
 
My brain is taking a power nap - I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment