Thursday, March 20, 2014

THE REPUBLICAN PARTY - RELATIVE TO ME



My parents' wedding day in 1939


I read this in this morning’s The Writer’s Almanac: The founding meeting of the Republican Party took place on this date in 1854, in a small schoolhouse in Ripon, Wisconsin. Former members of the Whig Party gathered to voice their opposition to the Kansas-Nebraska act of 1854, which repealed the terms of the Missouri Compromise, allowing settlers to decide for themselves if their respective territories would be a free state or a slave state.

The Writer’s Almanac is a dandy source for inspiration for writers like me who are stuck for a topic. Today’s bit about the Republican Party reminded me that if it weren’t for them I wouldn’t be here. You see, it’s like this: My Uncle Fred squired my mother, his sister of course, to a party at the Queens, New York, Republican Club, and that evening she met my father. I’ll never remember all the facts about the dates and places for the founding of the G.O.P., but I do remember the dates and places that, among other things, resulted in me.

Today is also the anniversary if the day that Albert Einstein published his Theory of General Relativity. 'Relatively' speaking this date is relatively good.



No comments:

Post a Comment