Wednesday, February 26, 2014

ONE DAY IN SPRING


This morning, flipping through the file I call Fun Fotos, I came upon this gem.  You do see those two black beasts out there? Bears, of course, the bane of my existence in rural upstate New York. This picture was taken one year in the spring. You see that pole out there? The one with the triangular thingie on it?
That's an aluminum cone meant to keep the squirrels out of the bird feeder. I did a dandy job fending off the little critters, but the bears just helped themselves - to the whole feeder! In this case it's flown off into one of the beds, completely empty. Not only did they love the birdseed - any thing edible was on their menu - they also loved taking naps in the middle of the flower beds. Just flattened them into submission.

Had I known years previously that they'd be moving into the neighborhood, perhaps I'd have created a different garden - maybe raised beds. But I did enjoy seeing them on their regular rounds through their new territory. I do miss the critters now that we are down here in a suburban area of South Carolina. We had some wonderful wildlife up there - everything from the bears and deer, of course, to cute chipmunks, and birds galore. Life's a bit tame now.




No comments:

Post a Comment