Monday, September 30, 2013

QUICK SAUCE WITH CANNED TOMATOES



Here's a quick topping for ravioli, as we had last night, or perhaps for fish or poultry.  The info on the can of petite diced tomatoes indicates there are 3.5 servings in the can,  I suppose you could serve this for three, but we feel it is just right for us. 

You can see my little cheat sheet from the first time
I concocted this topping. 
You'll notice the minced garlic - yes, well, I use the prepared stuff because it's available.  Truthfully, I've yet to taste the difference between the prepared and the fresh.  Maybe it's because the cooks I know who use the fresh are overcooking it and killing it.  I really don't know.
I use 'fresh' basil that I've chopped up and frozen. I like it better in fresh dishes.  I save the dried basil for a big pot of long-cooking spaghetti sauce.
We like the Trader Joe's (Trader Giotto's, as it says on the package) Beef Bolognese Ravioli.  There are two servings in the package, and, depending on life's little unknowns, there are eleven or twelve ravioli's in each package.  Guess who gets five and guess who gets six. 

So, here's the method:

Ingredients: onion, butter, oil, 14.5 oz. can petite diced tomatoes, garlic, fresh basil, parmesan, salt and pepper. 

-If you're topping ravioli then start the water to boiling.  Follow your own package directions or preferences for adding salt.  If you're topping fish or chicken you can prepare the topping during the last ten minutes or so of their cooking.
-Saute a chopped onion, as large as you'd like, in a bit of butter and oil.  Cook it until it begins to get translucent.
-Pour in the petite diced tomatoes, add a clove of 'real' garlic or the equivalent of prepared minced - about 1 tsp.  Add a tablespoon of fresh, chopped basil.
-Keep this on a low to medium heat until your ravioli is ready.  Add about 1/3 cup of parmesan at the last minute, just after you turn off the heat.

-Plate it all up and serve.






No comments:

Post a Comment