Friday, May 17, 2013

ALL GOOD WISHES FOR THE SEVENTEENTH OF MAY




This will be a busy day for me – I've a luncheon to attend; it’s Syttende Mai, Norwegian Constitution Day, the day when they celebrate the signing of their own constitution and their independence from Sweden; it’s my son and daughter-in-law’s anniversary: Zen Hugs to them; and, celebrated according to the Chinese lunar calendar, it’s the day for this year’s celebration of Buddha’s birthday.

As always on Syttende Mai we will be flying our Norwegian colors – red, white and blue, of course – and, this year, having Norwegian kjøttkaker, their meat cakes. I use a variation of Andreas Viestad’s recipe. To me they’re better than any Swedish meatballs, and served with lots of lingonberry preserves they are just delicious. Sometimes in the past we’ve had seafood au gratin or fiskefarse.  Fiskefarse, even fiske bröd, are better ways to say fiskepudding, fish pudding. Doesn’t sound too appetizing does it? We Americans conjure up images of a sweet for after dinner, the Europeans think savory. But it is really delicious. I’ve put the recipe on Latelife Recipes.

 

Andreas Viestad's version of Norwegian kjøttkaker -
have to have those lingonberries!


Buddha’s birthday brings my dear Canadian friend to mind. Her wonderful blog is here. Read her blogs and you’ll know why Buddha’s birthday brings her to mind. Actually, there are a lot of things that bring her to mind. As I write this on the 15th she is having an operation, maybe this very minute. I’m regularly sending warm Zen Hugs thoughts up to her for a successful outcome and a speedy recovery.


At the Jogye Temple in Seoul
This colorful picture is from the BBC

It is also the birthday of, among many other notables, Eric Satie.  So to celebrate his day I shall play the haunting Gymnopédies while I prepare those Norwegian kjøttkaker and chant om mani padme hum.
 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment