Friday, May 11, 2018

HEAVEN HELP US



Every year, the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York holds a benefit gala for itself. It’s a red-carpet fashion event, worthy of the Oscars and Emmys. Many take the year’s theme and run with it, and the outfits run from the ridiculous worn by a few of the more daring and darling celebrities, to the sublime and elegant worn by most.

Brooke Shields - Sublime


(I wanted to get a few facts straight, so I googled “mma gala.” I got info, but it was for the IMFA MMA GALA, held by the people who do the mixed martial arts. There’s a good connection there, and probably a pithy comment or two, but my brain can’t deal with it right at this moment.)

Katy Perry - Ridiculous
(if for no other reason than she couldn't sit in that rig)

 
This year’s theme was “Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination” to celebrate the museum’s exhibit of religious artwork, papal vestments on loan from the Vatican, and haute couture outfits from designers like Chanel, Balenciaga, Yves Saint Laurent...

...and Balmain on Jennifer Lopez 

Not that I’d ever have the occasion to wear it, but I do love seeing pictures of elegant haute couture. I wrote a blog about Evening Gowns, the Nuns, and My Mom. I can’t help but wonder what the nuns would have thought of some of the more outré ensembles at the MMA gala.

Rianna - Ridiculous


When events like this take place, I am always eager to go through the slides and comment, as I’ve done in the past. I’ve blogged about The Tasty and The Tasteless at these events. This gala was another example of the tasty and the tasteless.

Tasteless.  I rest my case.

One of my pet peeves is people wearing clothing that looks like it was made out of our flag. Another is the wearing of religious symbols as decorative jewelry. To me a cross or medal or other religious symbol, worn hanging around the neck as has been traditional for centuries, is the only acceptable way to let the world know what you are. These two pet peeves are concerned more with respect than with dignity, but some of the outfits at the gala were less than dignified. Some of the celebrities and their designers let their Catholic Imagination run amok.

Madonna! Marone! Definitely a miss mass mess.
(and check that gal's left arm - is that tat a temp?)

Google Metropolitan Museum of Art Gala 2018 to see all the crosses and losses, halos and JLos and other astonishing outfits.



There had to be something nun-such in there.
nun today, nun tomorrow.
Later:

Read an article about all this in the New York Times from May 20th.












No comments:

Post a Comment