Saturday, March 26, 2016

A GOOD DAY FOR WRITERS

A road taken - I-90 in Montana

This day seems to have been a good day for writers to be born: Tennessee Williams, A.E. Houseman, Erica Jong, Gregory Corso, Joseph Campbell, and my favorite, Robert Frost. I’ll always jump at an opportunity to include one of his poems in my blog. This isn’t the first time, and it won’t be the last. The Writer’s Almanac entry will give you a bit of his history.

There is something about Frost’s poems that is very satisfying. Most everyone you’d care to talk to about his poems, poetry lover or not, will agree that that they do like The Road Not Taken. Everyone has had to make a decision or two in their lifetime. Everyone has looked back and wondered what life would have been like if they’d taken the other road. It’s pleasing to know that there was someone like Frost who could put that decision point into words.

The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.



With thanks to Poetry Foundation  -  









No comments:

Post a Comment