Wednesday, February 18, 2015

THE EAR WORM RETURNS

The music goes round and round - and round some more!

Several years ago, for a long length of time, a very long length of time, Have a Holly, Jolly Christmas played through my head.  It played and played until I was thoroughly sick of it. When I hear it now at the holidays I think “Oh, No, not again!” I’ve had a few tunes running through my head since then, but none as long as what I’m experiencing, even enduring, now: the Rape Song from The Fantastics.  I had an original cast recording, I played it until the grooves were about to flatten, so you’d think my brain could pick out an easier tune, say Try to Remember.  Noooo – it had to be the Rape Song. (“I know you prefer abduction, but the proper word is rape.”)



It’s long, and it’s complicated, and it’s clever. Cole Porter would have loved it. And I just know that until I’ve mastered the lyrics I won't be able to get the song out of my head.


Oh Ra-a-a-a-a-ape! 




No comments:

Post a Comment