Wednesday, August 15, 2012

HAPPY HUNDREDTH BIRTHDAY JULIA CHILD







I couldn’t start the day without a small celebration of the 100th birthday of Julia Child. Jacques Pépin has written a wonderful piece about her for the New York Times.  I wrote an essay in May, and you may remember that they are two of my favorite chefs.

I will always be indebted to Julia Child for the great idea she had. She didn’t like being able to see the back of her refrigerator as she went into her kitchen, so she had a bookcase built there to house her cookbooks and Encyclopaedia Britannica, and to hide the coils. I did the very same thing, with shelves for our Britannica, in our new house – this was in 1976! – because you would have been able to see the side of the refrigerator, coils, dust and all, as you came in the front door.  I always thought this one of the cleverest bits of decorating inspiration I’d ever encountered. I still have the well-illustrated article, from a May 1976 New York Times Magazine, about “The Kitchen Julia Built”. Her kitchen was, as the article said, a model of “practicality, chic, warmth and fun.” 

Julia's kitchen circa 1976


The Julia Child kitchen now at the Smithsonian is the updated one devised in the 90’s to accommodate the taping of her television shows. I couldn’t locate a good shot of the bookcase on Google Images so I scanned in the one from the article.  I wish I had a picture from my own kitchen in that house – three houses ago! – that bookcase was very handy. 




No comments:

Post a Comment