Friday, November 8, 2019

ANIMAL FARE




I went to the animal fair,
The birds and the beasts were there

A Parliament of Owls

Trivia buffs know, and usually remember, an odd selection of facts. Many specialize in fields like the history of sports, television, or popular music. Some specialize further into individual sports and  music genres.

Then there are generalists like me. For a few days before our monthly Trivia League game, I quiz myself on crazy, trivial facts. Crazy is the word, ‘cause it does make me a little crazy. One bunch of facts I’ve always loved is the names of groups of animals. I do remember some, but most are lost to the depths of memory.

You can understand intuitively how some of the groups got their names: a tower of giraffes, a parliament of owls, a pandemonium of parrots. Then there are something fascinating groups: murder of crows, an unkindness of ravens, or a zeal of zebras.

My favorite – an exaltation of larks.



No comments:

Post a Comment