Friday, December 14, 2018

KEEP THE GOOD STUFF



My favorite Meissen figure - I thought to pass it down, but I'm keeping it for now.

If you’ve read any of my blogs on getting rid of stuff, you’ll recognize that, at heart, I am a minimalist. I have the empty drawers and shelves, and plenty of space in the closets to prove it.

Over the years, especially when we moved south, we gave away, passed down, or donated all sorts of things. I miss very, very few of them. I did do that picture thing: take pictures of the favorite items you’re giving away so that you can have the “evidence,” and your kids won’t have to deal with the stuff later. Eh! 

Now I say, if you have the room, keep the sentimental items. Keep that macramĂ© shawl you bought way back in the 60’s, keep the little pitcher you bought in that wonderful town in France, keep the little figurine you bought with your first babysitting money. If you have the room, and the inclination, keep the treasures handed down to you by your parents. You love them and you love having them. Most of these things deserve the space you give them.

Don’t be too quick to pass them on now. Yes - do let your kids decide to what to do with them once you’re gone. It'll keep them busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment