Wednesday, January 17, 2018

ARE YOU ANXIOUS?

He makes a lot of folks anxious, doesn't he?

Anxious

Excited

Eager

Over a year ago, my Canadian friend wrote this is her New Year’s email:

Well, it’s 2017, and now we’ll see how your fearless leader makes out as the new President of the United States.  He makes me very, very anxious, that man does, and I’m not even a U.S. citizen!  I hope and pray for the best.  These times are like that so-called Chinese curse:  May you live in “interesting” times.

Interesting times indeed. The year has been very interesting indeed, and that man still makes a good majority of us anxious. That’s “anxious” use in the true sense of the word: there’s a definite sense of anxiety.

I’d really like to smack the first person who used the word “anxious” in place of the word “eager,” and got that definition accepted into common usage. In my handy, dandy Random House College Dictionary dated 1984, there is no such usage.



No comments:

Post a Comment