Friday, October 20, 2017

TROLLOPS...



…Anthony Trollope and otherwise. I woke up the other morning, having just had a dream about working in a shipping office. I made a saucy remark to one of the clerks, and he smiled and fondly quipped “trollop.” I woke up wondering if the word trollop had anything to do with the writer. I know his name, but I’ve read little more than excerpts of his work.

Checking the handy-dandy Wikipedia, I realized that the author’s name is customarily spelled with an added ‘e’, though the Norse origins of the name allow for varied spellings. Trollope comes from trolls. Trollop derives, in its last permutations of another type of troll, then to trull, or lady of the evening. All of which is either very interesting to you, or will bore you to tears.

All this is by way of explaining to you how I come up with some of my essay subjects. 



No comments:

Post a Comment