Friday, October 6, 2017

BEDTIME TALES



I am in the midst of writing a piece on Charles Perrault for an upcoming issue of our community magazine. It will commemorate the anniversary of Perrault’s birth. (I’ll post the finished piece to this blog on January 12, 2018, his 390th birthday.) In telling the story of this Father of the Fairy Tale, I wrote the following:

“Parents no longer tell fairy tales to entertain and enlighten their children. In this age of almost universal literacy, we’ve books and electronic devices to provide the lessons. We read to our little ones, rather than make up stories.”


That reminded me that I was a lucky child, in that I had a father who did tell me stories at bedtime. I don’t remember them exactly. There were quite a number of them, but I’ve always remembered that they were about the adventures of two children whose names were Inge and Christopher. Is it any wonder that those two names have always been special to me? I picture him sitting beside me on my bed - my earliest childhood memory. I couldn’t have a better one. 



No comments:

Post a Comment