Friday, January 10, 2014

THE LESSON I LEARNED


 
Once in a blue moon when I’m engrossed in a good book I come upon something that really stays with me – something like Zen Hugs from Anne McCaffrey’s The Ship Who Searched. Zen Hugs are “the hugs that you would get, if we were there, if we could hug you, but we aren't, and we can't.”  Zen hugs became my tradition when writing to family and friends.  I have several “treasures” like this in my mental archives, some in my computer archives too, pithy sayings from people such as John Steinbeck, Maya Angelou, Douglas Adams, and Andy Rooney.
 
One of the strongest passage to catch my attention was this one from Trevanian’s Shibumi:   “It was not their irritating assumption of equality that annoyed Nicholai so much as their cultural confusion. The Americans seemed to confuse standard of living with quality of life, equal opportunity with institutionalized mediocrity, bravery with courage, machismo with manhood, liberty with freedom, wordiness with articulation, fun with pleasure – in short, all of the misconceptions common in those who assume that justice implies equality for all, rather than equality for equals.”

 

It’s a hard point of view, but that’s us, that’s us Americans.
Right? Think about it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment