Wednesday, May 6, 2020

SPRING FOR CLOTHES ONLINE


Spring is here and it’s time to update your wardrobe, right? You’re tired of a few things, and others are past their sell-by date. Ah, but the stores are closed. Take it from a gal who doesn’t like hates shopping and trying on clothes - shop online.

About the only thing I must try on, rather than order online, is a coat - The fits vary so much that I really have to try them on. For everything else I shop online, and I’ve done that for twenty years. Before that, I shopped the catalogs.

Lands' End | Public Relations | Multimedia Library
Today, as I have for over thirty years, I get my basic wardrobe from Lands’ End. Their clothes are well made, true to size, last and last, and I can usually take advantage of their discounts. I’ve never, ever been disappointed with what I get from them. The only disappointment is when I’ve worn something for years and go online and discover they no longer carry it. If I like a specific item - usually a top - I buy it in several colors. Over thirteen years ago (I say thirteen because I know I got them when we lived in upstate New York) I got three cowl turtle neck, tunic-length sweat shirts. They were divine. I still have one. Now that I realize I want more, are they still making it? No. Nuts.

Another nice thing about Lands’ End is that they’ll hem certain slacks and jeans for you - for men and women. If you’ve got hefty but relatively short legs as I do, this is a blessing.


I also recommend JJill. Land’s End clothes are basic, JJill’s are a bit more stylish, an a bit pricier - but again, I watch for discounts. I’ve been buying JJill clothes, as with Land’s End, by catalog and online for over twenty years. I go to them for “dressier” things.

I’ve also shopped Woman Within. Their clothes are basic and relatively inexpensive, but they don’t last as long and the colors aren’t as good or as brilliant in the dye. I also found that their clothes ran large. Some would like that, but to me they’re baggy. What I did like them for especially was their bathing suits.

I’ve also tried Talbots (meh! And their fabrics are relatively thin) and once or twice I tried sites like Noracora. Beautiful-looking, very inexpensive clothes but everything’s from China and takes ages to arrive. When items do arrive it’s often not quite what the picture showed and the clothes run small. I learned my lesson - they’re too good to be true.


As to the rest of my wardrobe - underwear from Hanes and Just My Size (a Hanes company) and shoes from Zappos. A hint on the underwear - don’t ever get it from Amazon! Don’t get any clothes, except maybe socks, from Amazon. Amazon uses outside sellers for the underwear and other clothing items, and it has seemed like “seconds” when I got it. Get it from Hanes.

Buying shoes online? Yes, if you know the brand and always get the same size. I know that I can get shoes from Clarks, Hush Puppies, and Propet because their lasts fit me again and again. Dress shoes - I haven’t needed them in years - what I have will see me out.

So - that’s my online story. I do like to “window” shop stores like Neiman Marcus and some of the other high end stores that carry the ultra-expensive labels. One result of browsing through these websites is that you wind up getting their ads on your freebie websites. That sure beats ads for insurance, car repair, and way-out cosmetics and health remedies. 

So now - go online and shop ‘til you drop.





1 comment:

  1. A notice on the restaurant's Herald Street door is directed at Hueston, stating that if he wants access, he must call a number at Peterson Commercial, a property management firm Cigarettes Online. A Peterson official said he could not comment.

    Hueston has been a prominent and active member of the local restaurant community Buy Cigarettes Online, serving as president of the Island Chef's Collaborative Marlboro Cigarettes. Chamber of Commerce. He used wood chips from Vancouver Island alder and organic fruit trees.

    ReplyDelete