Thursday, April 2, 2020

SHORT CUTS


Ever since I wrote an article for them, I’ve subscribed to the daily newsletter from Prime Women. By chance, this morning they had a timely article on 5 Tips for Growing Our Short Cuts.

Just last night I was thinking that with the salons and barbershops closed for the duration, our hair was going to begin to look shaggy. I’ve often cut my own hair, sometimes it even looked pretty good, and once, years ago, I did cut Frank’s hair. We still laugh about that one.

Frank - trimmed and neat - 1884

The year was 1985, and we were in the process of moving. We’d bought a home in upstate New York, and were waiting to sell our home on Long Island until Frank was 55 and we would be able to take advantage of a capital gains tax exclusion. We spent most of our time upstate. At that time, the closest barber was miles away, over the Berkshires, in Pittsfield Massachusetts. I’d cut my own hair, so I did the same for Frank. In those days of really short cuts for men, I just trimmed it so that it wouldn’t fall over his collar. Today, that look would be common.

Eventually, we did get back to Long Island, and Frank got to go to his regular barber. Much to his delight, the old, Italian barber gestured to him with his hand and said, “Wattsa matter for you? Your wife she cutta your hair?” Yep - she did! So since then, when Frank needs a cut, I say “Wattsa matter for you?”

Frank - shaggy




1 comment:

  1. Poor UFO! You captioned his photo as 1884 ��. Hope you both are safe and well. Love you both!

    ReplyDelete