Friday, April 5, 2019

PURPLE PIECE




This lovely purple piece by the American artist Jeff Koons popped up this week on one of the general interest websites I visit. Red is the favorite color of my adulthood, but, as a child, purple was always my favorite, and my eye is always drawn to that color.

The Koons piece is currently display at the Ashmolean Museum at Oxford. I reminded me of the pictures I’ve seen of the Venus of Willendorf, and indeed, the author of the not very flattering article in The Guardian did mention that ancient statue.

The Venus of Willendorf


I’ve always smiled when I saw pictures of that Venus and others like her – they remind me of me. Though our proportions are bountifully bulbous, they can truthfully be called classical.

Though current standards would have us be sylphlike, and health-wise it would be wiser for us to be more slender, we women of substance can smile and accept ourselves. We can say “I’m all right.”


Women en large





No comments:

Post a Comment