Friday, October 26, 2018

STAYIN' CLOSE TO HOME



This past week we watched a rerun of the PBS show This Week in South Carolina. It was a show from this past January, telling about the state’s new driver’s license that is a “Real ID.” Evidently, South Carolina was one of the states that was not as thorough as the others in vetting the people to whom it gave a driver’s license. The national security powers decided that as of a certain date, those licenses couldn’t be used as personal identification to board a plane or even to get into many Federal buildings.

Lucky for me, I can still go to the post office. I am not going to bother to collect all the necessary documentation, and I “quote” -

To be eligible to purchase a REAL ID, the SCDMV must have on file all of the following:
·         Proof of Identity (Government-issued birth certificate or valid US Passport)
·         Proof of Social Security Number.
·         Two Proofs of Current, Physical SC Address.
·         Proof of All Legal Name Changes.

And why do I care not? Because I’m not going anywhere. I’m staying home.

Home, as in no more flying or long drives. I’ve always been “attached” to home. It wasn’t ever bad when we drove throughout the country, but just ask the people with whom I’ve flown. Once I’m at our destination, I’m absolutely fine, but going and coming I am a nervous wreck. Not because I hate the flying, because I don’t. (Though these days with all the rigmarole attached to the security end of it, I’m not much pf a fan.)  I just don’t want any glitches to keep me from getting there and getting home. As I’ve gotten older, say in the last thirty years or so, I just want to stay close to home. I don’t want to go so far away that I couldn’t walk home if I had to.

That’s my story, and I’m stickin’ to it.



No comments:

Post a Comment