Tuesday, December 26, 2017

HAPPY 100TH BIRTHDAY

My parents on their wedding day - 1939

I always remember my mother's birthday: the day after Christmas. I once blogged about it in a little post called The Feast of Stephen. Mom would have been 100 today.
I do know that we, her children, liked to make her birthday as special as we could, especially when we came to know that when she was younger, her birthday was often brushed aside. "Oh Dorothy, you just had Christmas yesterday, you don't need anything else." Maybe not, but a cake would have been nice.
One year when I was in college, my gifting funds were low. I had money in my budget to buy her two nice things, but I knew she wanted another in Will and Ariel Durant's series, The Story of Civilization. One book, over budget, what to do? I got the book for her. I wrapped half in pink paper, the other half in red. White ribbon. She was please, and I so was I.


Again - Happy Birthday Mom, if ever you are wherever you are.




No comments:

Post a Comment