Sunday, July 2, 2017

TANGY THREE BEAN SALAD


Though it has been summer for quite a while here in the Carolinas, the Fourth of July holiday really brings out the summer recipes. Yesterday I got into the spirit of things and made potato salad, from the old standard recipe on the Hellmann’s mayonnaise jar, and a great three bean salad. I’ve no idea where I got the three bean recipe, but I’ve been using it for so long that I no longer need to refer to the printed version. I was going to make the wonderful summer succotash recipe from Marian Morash of the old Victory Garden show, but it’s just the two of us for this holiday. If I’d made all those salads, I think we’d have been fed up in no time flat.
I wanted to share this recipe on my blog, so I took a few pictures as I made it. It's really an easy recipe.



INGREDIENTS:

1 can each - chick peas, dark red kidney beans, and cut green beans 
2 small onions, diced
1 large carrot – peeled and sliced thin

1 Cup vinegar
1 Cup vegetable oil
½ Cup sugar
2 Tbsp. sweet paprika
2 tsp. salt

METHOD:

Drain and rinse the chick peas and kidney beans.  Drain and reserve the liquid from the string beans.

Prepare the onions and carrots. Put them in a pot with the vinegar, oil, sugar, paprika, and salt. Bring this all to a boil, let it cook for a minute, and then turn it off.
Pour the hot liquid and veggies over the beans. Add any of the reserved green bean liquid to completely cover the veggies and beans. Let this cool and then refrigerate it.  Makes 8 to 9 cups.  Keeps for a long time.

NOTES:

Avoid the use of olive oil because it will solidify in the fridge. If you do use it you’ll have to let the salad sit a while out of the fridge before serving.

Use more carrots if you like. Just make sure they ‘cook’ a bit so that they are not too crunchy.

You can reduce the oil by replacing all or some of it with water. Less calories that way.

You can use fresh green beans, just cut them up and add them to the vinegar/oil liquid to cook off some of the crunch.

Try a teaspoon of celery seed added in to the salad.


No comments:

Post a Comment