Tuesday, June 16, 2015

APOD IS TWENTY


The Astronomy Picture of the Day is my home page. It is always fascinating, I usually learn something, and the pictures are marvelous. Today they celebrate their 20th Birthday, so I thought I’d celebrate and show you a few of my favorite APOD pictures I’ve saved over the years. The telescope pictures of the galaxy are fascinating, but most of my 'keepers' are earthbound photos.

Of course, even “rocket scientists” can goof up. On May 8th this year they tried to show what the rotating stars would look like in the year 14000 when Vega will have replaced Polaris as our North Star. The rotating stars will look no different to us because north is north here on planet Earth.

2009 June 23 Moon, Mercury, Jupiter and Mars

Aurora in the Lofotens

Big Blue Earth

Devil's Tower and the Milky Way

Eclipse over Rapa Nui
The Horsehead Nebula in Orion

Iceland Volcano Erupts

New York Hot Spot

An Unusual View of London
Saturn's New Rings
Perth, Australia - January 2007

Pileus Iridescent Clouds

The Shuttle Comes to New York
Stonehenge, where else? 
Thunder Cell Over Montana
Venus and the Moon

Titan, Dione, Pandora, and Little Pan
Winter in Yosemite

The APOD link above will change from day to day, this is their anniversary 

No comments:

Post a Comment