Wednesday, August 20, 2014

COUSIN MARGARET


Today’s BBC New Headlines reminded me that this is the 75th Anniversary year for The Wizard of Oz.  How many times have you seen that movie? How many times have I, for that matter? Too many to count, especially since they trot it out almost every year at Christmas time.

And every time I see it I am again fascinated by the Wicked Witch of the West – Margaret Hamilton. I look at her and look at her and wonder if there is any family resemblance.  Miss Hamilton, you see, was my first cousin twice removed. She and my father’s mother were both Hamilton girls, and I am told that they resembled each other when they were young. I favor my father, who favored his mother a bit.  But no, I don’t see the resemblance. Too bad – I’d love to be green!

I think I will enroll Cousin Margaret into my Curmudgeon Hall of Fame.  
She was a bit testy, wasn’t she?


No comments:

Post a Comment